Posted on Dec 27, 2013

Here in Texas, it can be difficult for a creditor to collect a judgment for a debt from an ordinary person. Many people are "judgment proof" meaning that they don't own anything that can legally be seized. Except cash. Wages cannot be garnished in Texas, but once your paycheck is put into your checking account, or your tax refund is put in the bank, it can legally be seized under what is called a turnover order.

A turnover order under the turnover statute is a way for a court to assist a judgment-creditor to reach judgment-debtor's property that would otherwise be beyond a creditor's reach. See TEX. CIV. PRAC. & REM. CODE § 31.002 (a).  The word "turnover" derives from the trial court judge's ability to order the judgment-debtor to deliver or "turn over" nonexempt assets to an officer or a receiver when the assets cannot readily be attached or levied on by ordinary legal process. 

In other words, if they know where you bank, they can get to your money. Heck, they can walk right into your bank, give them a certified copy of the court order, and empty your bank accounts right then! If you own a small business and you have a turnover order against you, a receiver can come in and take over the cash register, collect the receipts as people pay for your products, and just collect the money until they've collected enough to pay the judgment (plus their commission, which could be another 25%).

Here in Houston, one legal firm that does these turnover receiverships to collect judgments is Jon Malone LTD. The lawyer in the firm is Jon Malone. If you have a judgment against you and Jon Malone is the receiver, either pay the debt, settle with him, or hire us or another law firm that specializes in debt relief and bankruptcy, and quickly. Collection attorneys like Mr. Malone are very competent at what they do, and they want to collect judgments. They don't want to hear excuses.

If you qualify, we can help you stop a turnover receivership but you may need to file bankruptcy to do it, if you wait too long. To find out your options to get a turnover receivership stopped, call our office 24/7 at 713-772-8037. For more information about it, request or do an instant download of our Special Report, "How To Deal with Texas Debt Collection Lawsuits! 7 Mistakes That Can Cost You a Lot," which is available on this website.

Read More About Turnover receivership is good way to collect Texas judgment for debt...

J Thomas Black
Connect with me
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law- Texas Board of Legal Specialization