If you are behind on your house payments, and foreclosure may be in the cards, don't ignore it. Here in Texas, once a mortgage foreclosure happens, it is very difficult or impossible to reverse it.

You have options to deal with it, whether you have a temporary problem, or even if you can no longer afford the house payments. Watch the video below by the U.S. Dept of Treasury Making Home Affordable program, to see if you qualify for a loan modification.

There is no need to pay anyone to do this for you. If you need help, free HUD-approved housing counselors are available to counsel you, and help you though the process.


But if there is no other way, if you don't qualify for Making Home Affordable or if your loan modification was denied, it may be possible to file chapter 13 bankruptcy and stop the mortgage company from foreclosing on you. Then, you can catch up the delinquent payments over a 3 to 5 year period of time, while under the protection of the Bankruptcy Court.

If you need to file chapter 13 to stop your foreclosure, give us a call here at our law office. We will be happy to meet with you at no charge, to see if chapter 13 is right for you. But don't wait too long; once a foreclosure is completed by your mortgage company, it is too late.

J Thomas Black
Connect with me
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law- Texas Board of Legal Specialization