Companies such as Telecheck in Houston, Texas gather up information about how people use their bank accounts. If you have bounced checks, or overdrafted your account, or owe the bank money for fees etc. they can close your account and not do business with you any more.

And a bank may subscribe to a company like Telecheck or Chexsystems to see how you have handled your banking relationships in the past, and deny you a new account if they don't like what they see.

But if you file bankruptcy, be sure to tell your attorney that you owe a bank for an overdrafted account. Then the attorney can list the bank as a creditor, so that what you owe the bank can be discharged or canceled by the bankruptcy.

Then after the bankruptcy, a letter should be sent to Telecheck with a copy of the discharge, and a list of the debts that were discharged, to make sure that they correct their records. Here is information about exactly how to do that. 

J Thomas Black
Connect with me
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law- Texas Board of Legal Specialization