If your home is up for foreclosure by your mortgage company in Houston, Texas or surrounding counties, you don't have a lot of options. You may be able to stop the foreclosure by asking your mortgage company for a forebearance, or a loan modification.

But if they won't deal with you, or you just don't have the money to do what they ask, consider filing chapter 13 bankruptcy with my law office, assuming that you have regular income and you qualify to file chapter 13.

The moment a chapter 13 is filed, an "automatic stay" or federal court injunction, stops and prevents the mortgage company from continuing with the foreclosure. If you hire my office, we would then notify the mortgage company's attorneys, so that they know about the bankruptcy filing and stop.

But don't delay! Come into our office ahead of time if possible, as there is paperwork that has to be done. Once your case is filed, you can usually have up to 60 months (5 years) to bring the delinquent payments current, while paying the regular monthly mortgage payments through a court-appointed trustee.

J Thomas Black
Connect with me
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law- Texas Board of Legal Specialization