Maybe. Of course you can pay the full amount of the judgment or settle for some lesser amount, and negotiate the release of your money.

But if you can't afford to do that, filing bankruptcy may be an option for you. If you file bankruptcy within 90 days of your money being seized, and you are able to claim the money as exempt property under state or federal law, you should be able to get your money back. In bankruptcy law it's called a preference or a preferential transfer. If this is your siuation, hire an experienced bankruptcy lawyer right away.

J Thomas Black
Connect with me
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law- Texas Board of Legal Specialization