The Texas Office of the Attorney General (OAG) has announced that it will begin denying vehicle registrations for Texans that are more than 180 days delinquent on child support. This is only for child support cases being handled by the OAG's office. 

Being delinquent on child support can already result in the suspension of a delinquent parent's Texas medical, dental, law, hunting and fishing registrations, licenses and permits. The State of Texas can also seize tax refunds, put liens on non-homestead real estate, put liens on retirement accounts, put also put liens on insurance policy proceeds.  Also, child support can be enforced through the use of court orders. A judge can sentence a parent to jail for contempt of court for failing to pay past due child support payments. 

According to the Attorney General's website, beginning in September 2016, parents who have not made a payment in at least six months and whose motor vehicle registrations expire in December 2016 will receive notice from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) that their motor vehicle registration renewal is being denied due to a child support delinquency.

Also, parents will receive a letter from the Attorney General that the TxDMV will not process their motor vehicle registration renewal until they contact the OAG to arrange a payment plan and make a satisfactory payment toward the plan.  The OAG has a dedicated phone line for all denial of motor vehicle registration renewal issues. Parents can call (866) 646-5611 to make payment arrangements.

If you owe delinquent child support and also have other debt problems and otherwise qualify, you may be able to use chapter 13 bankruptcy to catch up the delinquent child support over the course of a 3 to 5 year chapter 13 plan, as well as deal with your other debt problems. If you live in the Houston, Texas metro area or surrounding counties, contact our office at 713-772-8037 for your first free consultation to learn how this could work for you.

Do you think it is right for the OAG to deny vehicle registrations like this, for people that have fallen behind on child support? Doesn't it keep people from being able to work, if they cannot drive their car or truck? What do you think? Please post your questions or comments below!

J Thomas Black
Connect with me
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment