Had a bad experience with a debt collector for your federal student loan? You can file a complaint with Federal Student Aid, an office of the Department of Education. 

They handle:

1. complaints about applying for and receiving federal loans, grants, and work study; federal loan servicing; and the collection of defaulted student loans; and

2. complaints about schools' administration of federal student aid programs, including misrepresentation of facts about the school or the schools' recruitment and marketing practices.

They do not handle:

1. cases involving private student loans. Visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to file a complaint about private student loans. 

2. general inquiries. Visit StudentAid.gov for frequently asked questions and other general information about federal student aid.

3. complaints unrelated to federal student aid, such as complaints about academic policies, grades, or faculty.


Filing a complaint may not result in your problem being solved, or the Department of Education taking any action whatsoever for that matter. But you can at least bring your problem to their attention, and if enough people complain they will eventually have to address the problem.


Don't forget that companies that collect defaulted student loans are also subject to the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and state debt collection laws, which gives you the right to sue them in state or federal court if they engage in false or misleading practices, or are otherise oppressive or abusive in their debt collection practices. 


Have you had a good or bad experience with a student loan debt collector here in Houston, Texas or elsewhere? Please tell us about it below, or post your other comments or questions.

J Thomas Black
Connect with me
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment